Thursday, April 07, 2005

History lesson at the Health Clinic

First off, let me say that this is my first post EVER on any blog site, so be kind!

I was in the local health clinic yesterday to receive the last of my Hepatitis B boosters. I have received the vaccinations because they are recommended for travel in Central America countries where I went on a mission trip last summer .

Now, if you get a Hepatitis B vaccination, you are required to stay in the waiting room for 30 minutes after receiving the shot, to be sure you're not going to go into convulsions, or have your arm fall off. Needless to say, 30 minutes in the waiting room of the local health clinic can be rather boring, so I started looking through the choices of reading material displayed on the wall rack.

Let me say it is obvious that not many middle aged (OK, senior aged) men typically visit the health clinic. I was able to figure this out by perusing the variety, or lack thereof, of magazine selections in the waiting room. I know this comes as a shock, but I let my subscriptions to Women's Day and Good Housekeeping run out a while back.

My eyes lit up however, when I discovered a Time magazine hidden among the Future Mom mags. Now, I don't typically read Time magazine but my options were definitely limited. Of course, the first thing anyone does when picking up a magazine in the waiting room (or at least I do) is to check the date of the issue. This especially comes in handy when there might be several versions of the same magazine and you want to be sure to read them in sequence.


That was going to prove not to be a problem during this visit, however, because this was the only Time magazine in the rack. I had to do a double-take when I looked at the date of issue - June XX (I cant remember the exact date - a senior moment) 1996! Now, if that wasn't enough of a shock, what really blew me away was the condition of the mag itself. I looked practically new. A little rough around the edges, but I know of magazines in our home that look worse than that after a few days, let alone almost 9 years. My only conclusion is that this particular issue of Time magazine located in the Health Clinic in Jesus town has probably been read about 5 times in the last nine years.

Does this tell me something about the literacy level of our community?