Saturday, December 24, 2005

A day in the life of a dog. (aka: How I spent my Christmas Eve vacation)

The sis and BIL were headed off to the inlaws this morning. Usually they try to board their dog, Reece, so that she doesn't have to spend all day alone. However, Reece injured her leg the other day and was snapping at everyone so they feared she would bite another animal. So they cashed in a favor and requested that the bro and I pull walking duties.

However, this morning when they arrived to open gifts at our house, our services were no longer needed. Reece escaped this morning when BIL opened the door. Since it was still dark out and she headed for the woods, he wasn't able to catch her.

So my duties changed from dog walker to dog catcher. After they went home, they were still unable to find her and so they left for the inlaws not knowing where she was or if she would come back. Later in the day, the Dad and I decided to swing by to see if we could locate her. Now, as we know, the Jesus Town is a rural town. Which means the sis and BIL live in the country. The Dad and I drove up the road looking in everyones' backyards, and even doubled back the time he thought he may have seen her. Once we reached their house, we were pulling in the driveway, and lo and behold, there she was. She was lying in the backyard behind the house.

I got out and called to her, and she slowly walked to me, hanging her head the entire way. For a sec I thought maybe she was injured further, but once she got to me I realized she was sulking. With the Dad's help, we got her inside and all was well.

I went back this evening for her evening walk, and decided to hang around so that I could walk her again a little later. The bro has morning shift but won't be able to get there until 6:30 and I didn't want to make her hold it for 12 hours. I made myself comfy on the sis's floor and spent the evening with Reece's head in my lap watching cheesy holiday movies on Lifetime and admittedly getting a bit misty eyed in a few spots. Yes, I'm pathetic. And proud of it.