Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Hopelessly Devoted

I went home last weekend for The Mom's Birthday/Family Christmas extravaganza. On Saturday morning, I met my sister, my BIL and the niece for breakfast. For those of you who haven't kept track, she's now 14 months.

I walked into the restaurant and they had already ordered and our food was on the table. And I hadn't seen my niece since Thanksgiving, which is a long time for me. But as soon as she saw me, she started trying to stand up in her chair and was making noises and reaching for me. If she could speak yet, I'm sure she'd be saying something brilliant.

But BIL got her out of the seat and handed her to me, and she gave me a big hug and laid her head against my chest for about 30 seconds. And then didn't want to let me eat because I couldn't hold her then.

Sometimes it feels good to be loved so unconditionally.

[Placeholder: I have a half dozen stories from this weekend I will have to remember to share.]