Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Phobias, Fears and Aversions, Oh My!

I'm trying to find an new picture so I can change the scheme of this blog because I'm getting a little bored with it. While I was looking through pics, I ran across this pic which best illustrates a phobia of mine. I only have one serious phobia, that I know of, and I've tried to explain it to some people. They tend to look at me like I'm either crazy or delusional. I am both, but not for this reason.

I have this phobia of scattered dots. I can handle dots in straight lines or colored patterns, but something about shifting them into an erratic pattern makes it unbearable. It makes me think of swarms or bacteria, and really just gives me the heebie jeebies. I can't even look at that picture because it gives me goose bumps and I start shuddering. I know that this is a real phobia, as I heard the name once but can't remember it. And I know at least 3 other people who have it, including a fellow law student we all know and love.

The Phobia List is a great source for learning big words and self-diagnosing your own phobias. It's also great if you have a burning desire to know what it's called if you have a fear of sermons (Homilophobia) or a fear of being tickled with feathers (Pteronophobia). I also love how the fear of long words happens to have the longest name on the list (Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia).