Saturday, May 22, 2004

Caught on tape.

I was cleaning my room and ran across a mattress tag that had been torn off an old mattress, and all of the sudden I had a flashback to high school English class. We had to do a video adaptation of "The Scarlett Letter" and present it to the class. My group twisted the plot so that Hester Prynne was a nun and Dimsdale was the average guy who ended up with the child, but wouldn't reveal the mother. During their tryst they had ripped off a mattress tag, and therefore he was required to wear mattress tags as punishment and the baby was born with an imprint of a matress tag on her arm. Really, it was that dumb.

I played the part of "Lou the black polka man". My job was to lead everyone in the chicken dance, which was supposed to represent some sort of evil. I wore a black leisure coat with florescent music notes on it and was accompanied by a friend's mom playing the accordian. I'm still not certain why we even needed Lou, but I remember the countless hours prancing around in the woods leading the group in an endless "chicken dance." I also doubled as a police officer and had to make my own siren noises since we didn't have the capital to use real sound effects.

And the thought occurs to me that someone actually has this tape out there since I'm certain none of us had the foresight to destroy it.