Friday, May 14, 2004

Hit me with your best shot.

Last week I had to visit the local health department with my parents to get our first dose of Hepatitis B vaccine for our upcoming mission trip. My mother couldn't stay because she didn't have long enough of a break to stay for the instruction, shot, and waiting period, so my dad and I were left there by ourselves. I wasn't exactly prepared for the nurse.

First, she kept assuming that I was my dad's wife. This weirded me out more than anything since she had just confirmed our birthdays and should have realized that he's 28 years older than me. She should know better than to believe the Jesus Town would accept such a scandal.

Second, she had to go through this schpeal on why you need a Hep B shot. Even though we told her we knew, she proceeded to talk about how when you come into contact with Hep B, sometimes your body doesn't have enough "soldiers' to fight off the disease. She talked about how soldiers march through your blood to take on the disease when it hits. It took me a few times to actually believe that she kept referring to antibodies as soldiers. She had her back to us and I turned to my dad and rolled my eyes while mouthing "soldiers".

And thirdly, I have trouble getting shots because I have this weird condition that my body reacts to them by making me pass out. I always assumed it was psychosomatic, but the nurse told me she didn't think so. She gave me this long name for the condition, and explained that it wasn't in my head. But then while I sat there for the next 40 min until I wasn't dizzy, she kept talking to me about the randomest things. It was one of those moments where I had to be polite and keep nodding my head, but I just wanted her to stop talking. I could tell she never has any patients over the age of 5.