Monday, October 25, 2004

"Kill the Old People, it's Good for our Country"

Driving in to school today, I heard the most offensive political ad I've ever heard. It was for a guy who was running for state senate, and I wish I could remember his name so I could mock him. At first I thought I'd misheard part of the ad, but then it went on to the point that there was no mistaking what he said.

He said that this country is in a health care crisis, and the elderly are to blame. Quoting some statistic about 80% of prescription drugs are for people over 60, he then said that we need to quit wasting funds on older people and spend them on enhancing the lives of younger people. I don't remember the exact wording of the ad, except for his tagline which was; "I believe in young, healthy lives, not prolonged deaths."

Wow. So I guess it would be safe to assume that this dude would be for elimination of people who don't meet his quality of life standard. I hope he realizes that one day he's going to be older and he better not expect the "younger" generation to help him out.