Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Unorthodox Reunions

I was talking to my uncle on Sunday, just before he was to officiate for my great aunt's funeral. I wasn't that close to this aunt and hadn't seen her in probably 10 years, even though we live in the same town. My mother commented that funerals are turning into more of a family reunion (which is again sad because she hadn't seen her cousins since the last funeral in March, even though (again) we all live in the same town.) My uncle commented that we've been doing the funeral thing too much lately, and I got to thinking. Since December of 2002 I have lost a grandmother (stroke), a first cousin (car accident), an uncle (ALS), a step-uncle (esophogeal cancer), 2 uncles-in-law (colon cancer and a heart attack) and the aforementioned great aunt. I guess I thought my funeral attendances would spike more in my early 40s than in my 20s.