Thursday, May 26, 2005

I'm my own Grandpa.

Ok, I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this, but I find a 57 year old great-grandmother giving birth to her own twins to be wrong. Biologically, I don't think we're supposed to have great-grandkids who are older than our children.

The article says that the couple has a 6 year old son and had in vitro to get pregnant with the twins so that the 6 year old won't grow up an only child. To which I thought: There are worse things in life than being an only child. Say having your parents pass the average life expectancy before your high school graduation.

And while I'm on my soap box, I've heard many older women use the argument that men can have children later in life, and there's no stigma, so why not them. I can think of no less than a dozen reasons, but I'll only name a few. (1)a man doesn't carry a child so he doesn't suffer the physical consequences on his body, (2) when 80 year old men have kids they usually do so with a 30-40 year old woman so if the man dies, the woman is still there to care for the children, (3) when a 60 year old woman has a child, her husband is generally her age or older, so the chances of one spouse surviving past the child's age of majority are decreased.

I'll stop there on in writing, but the reasons go on in my head.