Friday, April 21, 2006

Gender Benders

From this week's Dear Abby:

"DEAR ABBY: My husband, "Ron," and I are at odds over parenting our 7-year-old son, "Brett." My husband is very domestic. He cooks like a world-class chef and does more housework than any man I know of. I have read Dr. James Dobson's books on family. He clearly states that a father should be the manly role model for the son, to prevent the son from being homosexual. I'm concerned that Brett will learn feminine ways from my husband and turn out to be gay. How can I convince Ron that he needs to teach Brett the more manly things in life? -- WORRIED MOM IN FLORIDA

DEAR WORRIED MOM: From my perspective, you don't need to change a thing. With all due respect to Dr. Dobson, your husband is already a manly role model to your son. He is teaching the boy important survival skills that will be invaluable when he is older. With luck, your son will turn out to be every bit the man -- and father -- that your husband is."

I could comment, but I don't even know what to say. The "making the son turn gay" issue aside, way to go for Dr. Dobson to stereotype a bit. Glad to know cooking and cleaning are still firmly rooted "woman" (ergo feminine) chores. Now I'm wondering what "manly" things this woman wants to teach her son.

And FYI: The bro has been doing his own laundry and cleaning since he was about 7. Same as the sis and I. The Dad does not hunt or fish or beat up on other men in bars. He also does more housework than the sis, the bro and I ever did combined. The Mom doesn't wear makeup and could tell you more about sports than most men. Wonder how Dr. Dobson accounts for us all being straight.