Sunday, September 16, 2007

Emmy Predicts

With the Emmys about 5 hours away, I thought I'd be remiss if I didn't actually give a shot at Emmy Predictions. I mean, I do watch a LOT of TV. Granted, most people won't read this post until well after the Emmys. You'll just have to settle for laughing and pointing when I'm completely wrong on my picks. (Though, I have been pretty good with the Oscars the last couple of years, but that may not necessarily translate here.)

Series, Drama
Boston Legal
Grey's Anatomy
Heroes
House
Sopranos

Should win? Heroes
Will Win? Sopranos

House is a good show, but not it's best season. Grey's Anatomy suffered the 3rd season fizzle. Boston Legal, a drama? Please. Heroes, is arguably, one of the better shows on TV this last season. I didn't give it a shot until about halfway through the season, but enjoyed it when I did. It's different enough, but, unlike Lost, it actually gives answers and doesn't drag out for episode after episode. The Emmys do have a habit of rewarding the good new shows (see Lost), but the overhyped, overplayed swan song of the Sopranos is going to make this the most predictable category of the night. It's won almost every award it's been up for the past decade. And, don't forget, since it's on cable and not network TV, it's obviously better quality *eyeroll*.

Series, Comedy
Entourage
The Office
30 Rock
Two and a Half Men
Ugly Betty

Should win? The Office
Will win? Ugly Betty

My love for the Office knows no bounds. After a shaky part of the second season, (even though it won the Emmy last year), it really grew this year into the smartest comedy on TV. I don't care what you say, I'm not going to believe otherwise. The combination of the writers, the actors and the directors are all heads and shoulders above any other group on TV. But I don't expect a repeat. I have tried to watch episodes of the other shows, but either hated them (Entourage, 30 Rock, Two and a Half Men) or didn't care enough to make it appointment TV (Ugly Betty). And, in fact, the second funniest comedy on TV, How I Met Your Mother, was grossly overlooked. I expect the hype that is Ugly Betty (see previous comment about Emmys loving new cult shows) to carry it to this win.

Actor, Drama
James Spader, Boston Legal
Hugh Laurie, House
Denis Leary, Rescue Me
James Gandolfini, The Sopranos
Kiefer Sutherland, 24

Should win? Hugh Laurie
Will win? James Gandolfini

Even in it's less than best season, Hugh Laurie still shines. He is House and no other actor could pull off. He's witty, caustic, American-accented, and perfect in the role. Sadly, though he deserves to win, he's going to suffer through watching this one go, one last time, to James Gandolfini. I've watched the Sopranos. I wasn't impressed. I haven't seen 24 or Rescue Me, so I can't really comment on that. But James Spader? Again, that show is not a drama and it is not quality television. I like James Spader, but he needs to go away and give his spot to Matthew Fox or Chris Meloni, again, other grossly overlooked actors.

Actress, Drama
Sally Field, Brothers and Sisters
Kyra Sedgwick, the Closer
Mariska Hargitay, Law and Order: SVU
Patricia Arquette, Medium
Minnie Driver, The Riches
Edie Falco, The Sopranos

Should Win? Kyra Sedgwick
Will win? Kyra Sedgwick or Edie Falco

Admittedly, I don't watch any of these shows, save SVU. Mariska got her due last year and she's not going to be close this year. Kyra Sedgwick completely carries The Closer, which is highly rated by my parents and critics alike. She should pull this off, but given the exit of The Sopranos, you can't count out Edie Falco. If I were forced to pick between the two, I say Edie Falco takes it by a nose.

Actor, Comedy
Ricky Gervais, Extras
Tony Shaloub, Monk
Steve Carrell, The Office
Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Charlie Sheen, Two and a Half Men

Should win? Steve Carrell
Will win? Steve Carrell

I'm going out on a limb on this one. Steve Carrell was robbed last year by Tony Shaloub, and everyone knew it, including Tony Shaloub. Those things are not easily forgotten. I'm holding my hope for him this year. A lot of people are calling Alec Baldwin claiming that he's going to take it, but I'm not certain his off camera personality and the fact that his show is a ratings underdog won't hurt him. Plus, though I don't watch the show, a lot of people seem convinced he should have been in the supporting actor category. Monk is past it's prime and Two and a Half Men is not funny. Ricky Gervais has a small shot, but I'm not certain he's mainstream enough to swing this vote.

Actress, Comedy

Will win? America Ferrera

I'm not even bothering to type out the other nominees, because if America Ferrera doesn't walk away with this award, I'll eat my computer. This one's not even close.

Supporting Actor, Drama
William Shatner, Boston Legal
T.R. Knight, Grey's Anatomy
Masi Oka, Heroes
Michael Emerson, Lost
Terry O'Quinn, Lost
Michael Imperioli, The Sopranos

Should win? Michael Emerson
Will Win? T.R. Knight or Masi Oka

Michael Emerson's Ben is the only redeeming quality of a poor season of Lost. He's perfect in that role. But, given how Lost was shut out in many other categories, I don't expect many votes thrown his way. Michael Imperioli should have the backing of the Sopranos exit, but I don't think they'll take this category. T.R. Knight has dealt with a lot of publicity and may get a sympathy vote. I sincerely don't think the show was up to par this year, but he did have one or two shining moments. Masi Oka is the standout on a new cult show. I'm going to give this to Masi, by a nose. I've heard he's a great guy, as is T.R. so either walking away with this will be fine with me.

Supporting Actress, Drama
Rachel Griffiths, Brothers and Sisters
Katherine Heigl, Grey's Anatomy
Chandra Wilson, Grey's Anatomy
Sandra Oh, Grey's Anatomy
Aida Turtorro, The Sopranos
Lorainne Bracco, The Sopranos

Should win? Chandra Wilson
Will win? Sandra Oh or Lorainne Bracco

Again, I'm getting redundant, but the Sopranos could carry this one too. Sandra Oh is about the least talented of the suppporting Grey's actresses. Her performance is so one note, but for some reason, people love her. It will be a crime if either Heigl or Oh take this over Chandra, the true star of that show. At least Ellen Pompeo's smarmy performance wasn't nominated in any category. Sandra Oh should easily have been replaced with Elizabeth Mitchell, who gave an outstanding performance on an otherwise dying Lost. I'm giving the nose to Emmy darling Lorainne Bracco in this one. I just feel the record setting Sopranos will exit taking 3 of the 4 acting awards.

Supporting Actor, Comedy
Kevin Dillon, Entourage
Jeremy Piven, Entourage
Neil Patrick Harris, How I Met Your Mother
Rainn Wilson, The Office
Jon Cryer, Two and a Half Men

Should win? John Krasinski. What, he wasn't nominated? Seriously, NPH
Will win? Rainn Wilson

Ok, I think Rainn Wilson's character is so one note and over the top and really think this nomination should have gone to John Krasinski. I'm more a fan of the straight man as it were. But hopefully he'll get his due. The Emmys do like over the top performances in their supporting actor cast (see Sean Hayes, David Hyde Pierce) so I'm giving him the edge. However, I'm really pulling for Neil Patrick Harris. NPH carries that show and gives it the funny. He's over the top, but not in the same way. And for all the fear in the media that his coming out would ruin the character, NPH's Barney is the greatest womanizing character on TV. I probably care more about the supporting comedy categories than any other. I'll be OK, with a Rainn win, but since How I Met Your Mother is always facing possible cancellation, I wish NPH would get his due this year. Also, don't count out a possible repeat of Jeremy Piven. But I'm thinking he won't carry it this year.

Supporting Actress, Comedy
Jaime Pressley, My Name is Earl
Jenna Fischer, The Office
Holland Taylor, Two and a Half Men
Conchata Ferrell, Two and a Half Men
Vanessa Williams, Ugly Betty
Elizabeth Perkins, Weeds

Should win? Jenna Fischer
Will win? Elizabeth Perkins

Again, Emmy voters love cable shows. Jenna Fischer really stood out this season on The Office, but it's too much to hope that she would take this one. I also think Jaime Pressley may have a shot, because, again, see the over the top discussion from above. The others are pretty much interchangeable. As long as either Perkins, Fischer, or Pressley win this one, I'm ok with it.

Writing, Comedy

Should win? Anyone from The Office

I don't know who the nominees are, but I'm pretty sure than 2 of them are teams from The Office. And they will be well deserved.

Interested to see how I did? We'll check the scorecard tonight.

Labels: ,