Saturday, May 01, 2004

Fashionably Late

Well, I'm supposed to be at the Relay for Life right now. It started about a half an hour ago, and I'm still an hour away from going. My reasoning being that everyone else will fall asleep and I'll be carrying the team from about 2-4 a.m. So why would I want to be up there now? Of course they all swear they're not going to sleep. In all fairness, they said they wouldn't last year and they didn't... not at the walk. Instead they all went home to bed leaving me and my brother there all by ourselves.

But this year is supposed to be different. They're doing "theme" laps and my eyes already hurt from rolling them at the titles. They have a "houndog lap", and under it it says "dress like Elvis or a doggie." Or the "Age of Aquarious lap"; "it's time to be a hippie." And my favorite, "the bling bling lap." I can tell this whole thing is being organized by elementary school teachers since they think things like this are "cool." I don't do dress up unless there's a cash prize involved. Or unless there's enough alcohol involved to make it worth my time. And there will be neither.

So if you don't hear back from me in the next couple of days, know that I've either (1)strangled myself or (2) strangled someone else and I'm in jail. Unfortunately, the only thing that may keep me from doing so is "country days" at church tomorrow. If I'm dead or locked up I won't be able to go and snipe at that and it's the prospect of making fun of others that gets me through the day.