Saturday, May 15, 2004

Taking Names

As most of you know, I have a couple of 14 hour flights and 5 weeks in a foreign country in my near future. From last year's experience, I think I need at least 3-4 books to take with me on this trip. There's only so much TV you can watch and understand when it's in Chinese. Since the last book I picked out myself was likely "Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing," I'm in dire need of suggestions. Please, if anyone has read anything good lately, let me know.

I'm looking for "light" reading in that I just want to sit and read, not consult the dictionary or write journals on the metaphors and sybolism. Any "classics" like "The Great Gatsby" or "Pride and Prejudice" are out. I also don't like period books. I prefer the characters to be living in modern times. Last summer I read and enjoyed a few books by Jane Green (Jemima J, Mr. Maybe, etc) which have been dubbed "chick books." So it's probably safe to assume that I'm a chick book kinda girl, though I refuse to carry around any book bearing the image of a half-clad man in the throes of passion.