Wednesday, January 19, 2005

File this one under “Things I should have really considered before rushing to a decision.”

I started the final semester of my law school career today with an 8:45 a.m. class. Whatever possessed me to take an early class during my last semester, I’ll never know. In principle, 8:45 doesn’t seem like all that early. But in practice, once you back it up an hour and a half for driving, an hour for getting ready, and 15 minutes which to decide if I’m actually going to get out of bed for the day or pretend it’s a weekend, and we’re at 5:30. For those of you doing the math at home, you must factor in that I have to arrive at school by 8:00 so that I don’t have to park in Canada. I’ve decided that for all intents and purposes the Michigan Street lot might as well be in Michigan State, especially when hoofing it in the balmy 12 degree weather. And the far lot to the North will now be called either the Upper Peninsula or Canada depending on my mood.

It’s difficult to believe that I used to have an 8:45 class every morning first year. It’s even more difficult to believe that prior to law school, I used to voluntarily start work at 6:30 a.m. Those flexible government hours are a killer.

But the early class wasn’t my stupid decision for the semester. The dumb move would be my choice to have 2 classes on Wednesday; one that ends at 10:06 a.m., and the next which starts at 6:35 p.m. And living far away, I can’t just go home to nap. Let me tell you, there’s a lot of stuff you can get done in 8 ½ hours and still have time to dramatically whine and put on a show about how long it is till your next class. Today, for instance, Kelly P, JC and I visited the bookstore, hung out at Starbucks, visited the other bookstore, got our new IDs, and closed out JC’s bank account and still made it back to school before 3. I’m glad we got all of that done, but now that all of our errands are done for the semester I’m at a loss as to how we’re going to spend the next 14 Wed. afternoons.