Monday, January 10, 2005

Hello, my name is Heidi and I'm a breadmachineaholic.

Ok, I'll admit it. I'm addicted to my mom's breadmachine. And I blame my dad. It all started when he decided to get her one for Christmas, but instead of actually picking it out himself, I had to do his dirty work and pick one up at a Target in Indy. [We all remember how I don't have a Target anywhere around here.] But in searching for said breadmachine, I became entranced with all of its features and buttons, and felt the need to try each and everyone out for myself. I can't control myself around it.

We broke the thing out of its box on the day after Christmas. And since then, I've made at least one loaf a day, usually two, and on a good day, I've squeezed in three. The instruction manual includes dozens of recipes, and I've been baking and marking up the book with notes regarding our opinions of the bread. Was it too doughy? Too bland? Not enough sugar? I think I enjoy it because it's so easy and makes me feel like I can actually bake. We all know Kee Kee sets the gold standard for baking, and it's one that I don't even dare dream of achieving. But I have a late holiday party coming up, and I'm working on which breads would be best to bring. The machine even makes jam. It's a miracle worker, I tell ya. Imagine, warm, homemade bread with fresh strawberry jam.

Watch out Betty Crocker, there's a new girl in town.