Sunday, May 01, 2005

Finals are a pain in the neck.

[Edited to note that I typed this post before I read about Kelly P.'s weekend headache. There must be something in the water.]

I went to bed on Friday night with a headache, and woke up on Saturday morning at 4 a.m. with a full on migraine. Which was convenient since I had to get up at 6 to make it to a final by 9. After a few excedrine migraine pills, a heat pack, and laying on the couch with my head hanging off the end, it was still raging at 5:30. Have you ever seen one of those medical shows where the guy is rushed to the emergency room with a knife sticking out of his skull? I felt like he looked, only more nauseous. It was seriously one of the worst of my life.

Fortunately, my mother has a standing declaration that no matter what time of night it is, I can wake her up so she can try to help me get rid of it. Unfortunately, the mom is at a conference in Texas until Thurs. So at approximately 5:40, I gracefully woke the dad up with my sobbing and wailing and snot running down my face. It was really a shining moment for me.

But the dad served as a good fill in, but everything we tried didn't work. Several stretching exercises, this stuff called "Biofreeze" on my shoulder muscles, and still no luck. But after a good shower and a nap, it had subsided enough that I could drive to school and take my final. And thankfully, I wasn't taking a 6 hour tax exam final.

All is well however. A few more hours of nausea, but I survived. The last time I had one of these this bad, it was brought on by a friend named Pinot Grigio. This one I'm certain was the result of 31 hours in front of my computer over the course of 3 days. So I've been taking a break from the computer this weekend. But it's back to the grind tomorrow for my 2 remaining finals.

I just keep reminding myself this is the last time ever I will have to do this.