Saturday, March 04, 2006

Oscar Predix

This was a bad movie year, for me in particular. I have yet to see any of the movies which are nominated for Best Picture. Or I guess even Supporting Actor or Actress. Sad. But that doesn't stop me from having opinions. Therefore, I offer my predictions.

Best Actor
My Pick: Joaquin Phoenix. He was fabulous as Johnny Cash and in my opinion was robbed for Gladiator.
Who will win: Philip Seymour Hoffman. I haven't seen the film but from the fact that he's won countless awards and the short clips of it I have seen, he seems like a shoe-in.

Best Actress
My Pick: Reese Witherspoon. It's her year and time for people to see her seriously.
Who will win: Reese Witherspoon. Although the Academy has previously show they like to award the pretty who turn fugly (see Charlize Theron, Halle Berry, Julia Roberts), I just don't think Felicity Huffman got enough exposure for Transamerica. Though I do love Felicity and my love dates back to Sports Night, not from Desparate Housewives.

Supporting Actor
My Pick: Jake Gyllenhaal. Since I haven't seen any of the films, I'm going with an actor I like. I think he's fabulous and should be recognized if not just for this film for all those indie films from years past.
Who will win: George Clooney. He's gotten so much exposure over the last year and everyone seems to love him right now.

Supporting Actress
My Pick: Michelle Williams. I must say, couldn't stand her on Dawson's Creek, but I've seen several clips of her performance and she wowed me. And after years of living in shadows, I'd like to see her overshadow Katie Holmes, even if just for a minute.
Who will win: Michelle Williams. I have nothing to substantiate this, just a gut feeling. (And although Heath is 3rd on the list of who I think will win Actor, wouldn't it just be so cute to see these two both win at the same time.)

Best Picture
My Pick: Since I haven't seen any of these films, I have no opinion.
Who will win: Crash. I think it's going to make a late surge and overshadow Brokeback. But just a guess.