Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Winds of Change

So, I've been kinda mum about this whole topic for the last few months. Most of my regular readers know me in real life so they knew this anyway. But 2 months ago I quit my job. I didn't really discuss it on here, because at the time, I didn't really have a backup job. Not exactly the smartest thing to do. But you do what you have to do. Thus, although I was supposed to be buying a house a few months ago, I didn't. Which is why I didn't mention it again. I am still a renter in every sense of the word.

It's funny how things work out,though. Less than 10 days after I quit, I interviewed for a job which didn't really excite me. I got a bad vibe at the interview and kinda chalked it up as interview experience. And then I got a second interview. And then a third. By the time the third one rolled around, I had started to get my hopes up and realized just how perfect the job was for me. Luckily, they apparently thought I was perfect for it as well and offered it to me.

Obviously, I don't really want to talk specifics about it. I'll generally say that I feel like this job is using my law degree for the greater good. Also, there is no billable hour requirement. Which is the best thing since sliced bread. I started this past Monday, and although I've only been in training and observation, there are so many things about this job that I'm going to love. I'll get to do a fair amount of litigation without solely being stuck in the court room. And I'll be the only attorney in an office and spending my days with non-attorneys. Which will have its ups and downs. And did I mention no billables?

I've never really been a big fan of the whole "when God closes one door, another one opens." Not that I think it doesn't happen, I just think it's something we tell ourselves without really believing. But, it really rang true this time. I left a job I didn't realize I hated so much until the day I cleaned out my office, got an extended 8 week vacation laying around doing nothing but relaxing, and landed a job that couldn't be more perfect for me. So all in all, things are good. Different, but good.

Labels: