Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Wanted dead or alive.

Andy Kaufman, as some would have you believe, is alive and well. The comic claimed that he would fake his own death and return 20 years later, which would have been May 16th of this year. An Andy Kaufman Returns blog has appeared, hosted of course by blog spot. The blog claims that the author is the real Andy Kaufman and has various posts claiming that he has been confirmed by a DNA test. Yet, the obvious question "why don't you go on national TV to prove it" is dismissed by saying that he wants to remain on a more personal and intimate level. He says to look for him at Wal-Marts and Starbucks around the country and to contact local media when you do.

I, of course, am highly skeptical of this stunt. Until I see him at my Wal-Mart or he posts something more official than a post saying it's been confirmed by DNA, I will continue to consider this a prank thought up by an ingenious impersonater. I know precious little about Kaufman aside from the fact that he was a comic and he died. So if this turns out to be the real deal, my knowledge of all things Andy Kaufman will decrease by 50%.