Friday, January 21, 2005

Parental Concern

Amanda and I headed out to our cars last night after Beer and Nacho law and discovered that they were covered in a layer of snow and ice. It was the kind of freezing rain that doesn't just come off with a swipe of the washer blades. So, we had to dig out the ice scrapers.

While we're scraping our respective cars, I mention to her that I bet my parents have called to warn me about the weather conditions. Because that's the kind of parental thing they tend to do. They usually call to tell me if the roads are slick, or if there is an accident or a road blockage that is going to delay my drive home. I think it's done mostly for their own sanity so that I can take and alternate route and not be in any more of a bad mood when I get home. But it's routine parent behavior.

So last night, I hop into the car, and while it's warming up, I check my messages. And sure enough there's one from my mom:

Hi Heidi, it's Mom. I couldn't remember what time you were coming home tonight and it's about 10 after 7. [Typical start to message] Well, if you could give me a call when you get this to let me know when you're going to be home. I wanted a Frosty from Wendy's and was hoping you could stop and pick one up for me.

Here I am all prepared for the mom weather update, and all she wanted was an FFJ run. And I thought I knew my parents. I told her when I got home that she was making the blog, and she tried to spin it as it was code for letting me know that it was "frosty and windy out." Nice try ma.