Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Dear Pet Peeve.

I read the Dear Abby column online frequently to marvel at the things some people have to say. The people at Dear Abby take the liberty to edit the letters so they are more grammatically correct. I can appreciate this as much as the next person since I do not want to read "the other day I seen this boy" each day.

I do, however, have a problem with one certain edit the folks make. Any time someone writes in about getting married, they change it so it says "I am being married." While this may have been proper grammar 50 years ago, no one speaks like this now. Especially when Jim Bob from Alabama is asking something. Not that there's anything wrong with Jim Bob, they just speak differently in the South than they do in New York City. It's distracting to read a letter from the South and see them speaking like the ever refined debutante. Heck, even the New York City debutantes don't speak like that. Let's get a little updated please.