Tuesday, June 27, 2006

So it begins.

I got my first official wedding invitation for the summer today. Except, it's not really for the summer since all of my weddings this year are in September and October. Someone told me that October is the new June. Here's how my September and October are shaping up this year:

1st weekend in Sept--wedding of a high school friend
2nd weekend in Sept--wedding of my cousin
3rd weekend in Sept--wedding of my associate
4th weekend in Sept--10 year high school reunion
5th weekend in Sept-- free, I think
1st weekend in Oct--wedding of a college friend
2nd weekend in Oct--wedding of a college friend

I'm going to be dropping alot of money on wedding gifts in those 2 months. I've heard some people say that if they're not married by the time they turn 40, they're going to throw themselves a big party and register for gifts. Which, is not a bad idea. Because it would really suck to have to spend your whole life buying people these gifts but you get none in return because you never marry. It's a messed up system.

Also, I think there should be a single person's day scheduled into our calendar. We get a Mother's Day, a Father's Day, the dreaded Valentine's day, but no recognition for the singles who have to endure all of the above holidays, plus the questions from family about "when are you going to get married" or the speculation from other family members that because you're still single you're batting for the other team. We all know their intentions are good, but apparently people can't fathom that we're ok being single.

I mean, it would be nice to have a date to take to all of the above weddings to join in the snark of griping about how much we hate weddings. But I'm perfectly content to hang out with my friends or family in my spare time. Heck, I can barely take care of myself let alone worry about accommodating someone else.