Tuesday, July 14, 2009

To Each His Own

Around Christmas time I informed the Boy it would be a great idea to go caroling. I told him I could play my french horn which I had not played in 10 years, and he could sing off key. This, I told him, was a great way to get to know our neighbors.

Of course I was joking. I said that my true goal was to be known as the craziest people on the block so that they would all stay away. Little did I know that was going to be a difficult task.

I found out later that the house across the street is used as a halfway house for reintroducing persons who have been committed to psychiatric wards back into society. I think this is a great program, personally, because it provides a step down that some people need. Our other neighbors informed us that from time to time we may find mail missing as the residents are often sent out to retrieve mail and if they don't have any in their box, they will go to all of the neighbors houses to collect some. Which, they can have all of my junk mail if they please.

Saturday I was out heading into town when the resident of the day came out to get the mail. It caught me off guard at first, until I realized that I wasn't seeing things and that he indeed had his dark hair slicked down and was sporting a full on dracula cape. And he was owning it. More power to him.

Labels: ,