Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Coppers

While my parents are out of town this week, I have to act like psuedo-mom to my 24 year old brother. Today I had to drive with him up to Indy to buy the rest of his police gear, and put it on my credit card until the parents get back and can pay me for it. I never thought in all my life that one of my sisterly duties would be to help him try on bullet-proof vests and to try to decide if it was a proper fit. Since he didn't want to lay out $400 for a new one, we were digging through boxes of the $49.99 used ones. Kinda weird to buy something "used" when it could be the very thing that saves your life.

Then when we got home, I had to help him fit the vest under his shirt until he can ask a deputy if he's wearing it right. He's not allowed to wear his uniform until he "gets his brass" on Friday, so here he was wearing khakis, his belt and holster, body armor, and a button up shirt. Having never seen him in uniform, he looked more like undercover cop than anything. And it will still take some getting used to to see him lift up his shirt and seeing that he has the loaded gun under there.