Thursday, July 15, 2004

Body Art

When I got my first tattoo, I was warned that it wouldn't be my last.  Everyone claimed that they were addicting, and I pretty much pshawed the idea.  But they were right.
 
I've had this hankering to get another tattoo for about the last 18 months.  I'm coming up on the 3rd anniversary of my original tattoo, and I'm just getting the bug again.  It's like catching the "I want to go on vacation fever", but only not as frequent.
 
I have no regrets about my first tattoo.  I went through all the stages including the "oh my god what was I thinking" stage merely a day after I got it.  But now I barely notice it's there.  And it meant something to me when I got it.
 
My parents have always had this rule that we couldn't get a tattoo as long as we were living under their roof.  I waited until I had lived on my own for a year or two, as did my sister, and then we defaced our ankles.  Now technically, I'm back under my parents' roof, but I'm thinking the rule shouldn't still apply.  Because as the guy that did my tattoo said, "There are 2 kinds of people in the world:  those who have tattoos and those who don't."  Which at the time I told him not to classify me the same as the dude in the next chair over who was getting his last tattoo because to find any more room they were going to have to start opening him up and tattooing his organs.
 
But the dilemma I have is that I know where I want to get my next one, but I have no idea what I want.  I contemplated my first one for about 5 years, and then fell in love with the tattoo my friend had.  I asked her permission first, and then got one just like it, which was justified in my mind because she lives on a different continent and it's not like anyone ever sees us together.   Now I"m again clueless as to what I want.  Those of you who know me may want to suggest something (though I don't do anything cutesy or trendy).  I'll be keeping my eyes open for your wisdom.