Monday, July 12, 2004

Baby Shower Aftermath

So the baby shower on Saturday was the biggest baby shower I've ever been to in all my life. And trust me, I've been to my fair share. My sister's mother-in-law invited over 80 people to the shower, and about 50 showed up and the rest sent presents. They were all people who knew her husband from when he was born, and consequently, never saw him after he turned 15. My sister knew only about 5 of them and sat at the head table in a 'deer in the headlights' trance for most of it while I tried to entertain her with the humor no one else seemed to get.

But the good news is that I'm cancelling all other baby showers since the guests exhausted both registries in no time flat. She may have 1 item left on either list, and if I can convince my aunts to buy that, I'm pulling rank (as official gift writer downer) and calling it quits. Somehow, I don't think that will fly with our side of the family.

And why do people feel that the "poopy diaper game" needs to be played at every shower? For those not in the know, the poopy diaper game is where someone melts a variety of candy bars and then puts them into a diaper so the guests can see how many different kinds they can name. Anyone who thinks making chocolate look like baby poop is a good idea needs their head checked.