Monday, March 28, 2005

Easter in the Jesus Town

What would the Jesus Town be good for without an Easter musical? And this year didn't disappoint. My church put on a production of "The Promise" [made famous in that Broadway of the south; Branson, MO] for the 5th time in the last 7 years. And I had a few observations.

  1. I am far to cynical for the amateur theatre.
  2. At the beginning, our youth minister made an announcement that if children become "distressed or disruptive" the parents should be courteous to all other patrons and "take them out." Finally, they're giving me permission.
  3. The directors did not allow the performers to wear glasses since that wouldn't be accurate for the time period. To which I pointed out, that if they had had glasses back then, I'm sure they would have worn them. I then suggested that if we were going for authenticity, they should rope off the bathrooms and make everyone go dig a hole on the back lawn to do their business.
  4. They wouldn't let my niece be baby Jesus because she was too old. This is inadequate justifcation for a few reasons. The man playing the older Jesus was in his 50s. Not the 33 we all know is accurate. I guess Jim Caveziel was unavailable. Additionally, those biblical/historical scholars among you probably know that our conception of the wise men visiting the newborn baby Jesus is inaccurate. Commercial airline transportation hadn't picked up quite yet in Bethelehem, and travel across the country would have taken years. So "baby" Jesus was likely in his terrible twos by the time he was visited by the Magi.
  5. Which leads me to a final point. I believe the true reason my niece was not permitted to repeat her role as Jesus was because she is female. It's that sex discrimination in the church I tell ya. I just submitted my senior thesis on how the religious exemption to Title VII facilitates discrimination against women by religious employers. [Copies available upon request.] And I'm not sure I want to live in a world where a woman can't be Jesus.*

Yes, I am being sarcastic, Dad.