Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Bits and Pieces

I love working for the government on election day. Bonus vacation day! K was kind enough to join me after my 2nd job and eat breakfast and then we went down to vote. We were voters 19 and 20 at our precinct. Last time, I voted with 15 minutes to spare and was only voter 220. That's sad.

Frosty did not have surgery yesterday due to a medical situation with a member of my human family. My grandfather has been ill and I went home for the weekend and could not be here to restrict his food and water. I'm keeping a close eye on him and he's scheduled now for Tues. the 20th when the vet returns from vacation. I did not realize when I rescheduled that it is the Tues before Thanskgiving, which means I can't leave them here for the long weekend. So instead, they will be making the trek to the parents' house with me where my mom's cat is less than friendly. Especially to Frosty. Poor Frosty.

My second job is looking for volunteers to work the night of Thanksgiving. Technically it will be Friday morning from midnight to 4. If I work, I get paid my 4 hours of regular holiday pay, plus time and a half for the hours I actually work. Roughly grossing $115 for one night. I need to double check with my manager that that's actually the case and it's not just straight up time and a half. If so, I am really tempted to work since we're doing Thanksgiving later in the weekend. I can also take Monday off from my law job since I've been racking up vacation days and have yet to use one. I was supposed to take the day off yesterday, but they scheduled Court. Unlike my caseworkers, I don't have anyone that can step in and cover for me for the day and let me keep my day off. So I went in anyway.

Last night at work was freezing. Our work gives us clothing including these nice parkas, stocking caps and work bibs. I made the mistake of only wearing 3 shirts and the parka last night, with my tights and jeans. I'll definitely be layering myself up tonight better since it will feel like 22 degrees at the point when I will be outside, unshielded by the wind. I think a trip to Dicks Sporting goods is in order. I just can't wait until it get to be 0 degrees.

Labels: , ,