Wednesday, February 04, 2004

The people we keep close to us.

I had dinner with friends from high school last night. Dinner was to start at 6:30, and I remembered at approximately 7 when they called to ask where I was. Yes, I have a great memory. But I threw on some clothes, hopped in the car, and 40 minutes later I was sitting with 3 friends that have grown to be so very different than me.

2 of the friends are married, and one just had her second baby. So I spent some time holding him and ended up with a bunch of spitup on my shoulder. I hate holding babies because I always feel like I'm doing it wrong. It didn't help that the 2 yr old was walking around telling his mom that I was unsafe and that she needed to take the baby back. Even a 2 yr old can sense my uncomfiness.

But it was a good catching up night. And I stuck my foot in my mouth more than once. It's so hard to relate to people who were married right out of high school when I'm still in that stage where I'm not even close to starting a family. But these are the people I'm definitely inviting to my bridal shower, cause Lord knows, I bought them gifts when I was 18, and it will be time by then to return the favor.