Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Baby-Mania

My niece or nephew is still 7 months away from being born, but baby mania has hit. It's all anyone talks about around here. My parents have already exchanged "congratulations on expecting a new grandchild" cards. I didn't realize they made such a thing, but my mother assured me they even had "congrats on expecting triplet grandchildren". The card my mom gave to my dad said something like "soon there will be 2 new little hands to hold...." Cute, but do we really need to funnel more money to Hallmark?

My brother-in-law for the most part refers to the baby as a boy as often as he can in hopes that by saying it so many times it will make it true. He will call me on my cell phone in the middle of the day and say, "your nephew is doing fine today." As if at 1:37 on a Monday afternoon I was sitting there asking myself, "I wonder how my unborn niece/nephew is." They won't know the baby's sex for another few weeks, but I'm thinking it's going to be a girl just to spite him. He says he won't be disappointed if it's a girl, he'll just be broke.

My dad has his schedule all planned out. My sister isn't really sure when she's due because of the fertility treatments, but it's either late Sept, or early Oct. My dad's birthday is Sept 26th, and he's bound and determined that his grandchild be born on his birthday. He's told my sister that on the 25th they're going out for a Mexican lunch, followed by a Chinese dinner, and jogging in between.

I'm staying out of the babyness for a while longer, though I am keeping an eye on my sister to gauge how I may be if I ever have children. So far pregnancy makes her puke a lot and makes her incapable of crossing the room to get a glass of water. We're only at week 9 and I'm already sick of, "why don't you get your sister a drink/something to eat/a blanket/ a gold-encrusted statuette of the late Pope so she doesn't have to get up since she's expecting."

She's pregnant? Gee, I must have missed the 85 emails sent to friends, family, friends of family, and former coworkers' mothers.