Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Life.

There are many things I realize on a day to day basis, and today more than ever I realized that life is too short to mess with meaningless shit.

My uncle was diagnosed about a year and a half ago with ALS [Lou Gehrig's Disease]. And last Friday he passed away. ALS is one of the cruelest diseases in that it deteriorates the body completely, while leaving the mind intact. Up untill his final moments, my uncle was still mentally there, though he couldn't speak or even move in the slightest way.

Today I attended his funeral with the rest of my family. I sat directly behind his 14 year old daughter and 12 year old son and struggled to make it through the video montage that included pictures of him holding each of them on the day they were born. While we have an extremely close family of aunts, uncles and cousins, no one will ever be able to take the place of their dad. I'm glad they had some comfort knowing that their dad was a Godly man, and we all wholly believe he is in a better place and we will see him again.

So while I don't usually post something so personal, I just wanted to remind you to take time out of your day to enjoy the people you have around you and let them know they are special to you. I know it's trite, but it's completely true.