Friday, April 06, 2007

From the Mouths of Babes

My niece has entered this phase where she repeats back everything you say to her in the form of a question. It's like your own echo machine constantly following you around everywhere.

For instance:
Me: Get your shoes on. We're going to Mimi's.
Her: My shoes on? I go Mimi's?

She's even got the inflection down so you know it's a question. Where do kids even learn that?

Sometimes it is cute. Yesterday Mimi asked my sister if she had seen the niece's latest drawing. Only Mimi referred to it as a masterpiece. So the niece picked it up in the kitchen and ran to her mom shouting, "look at my masterpiece mommy." The kid can't say pillow correctly (she says cah-low) but she can say masterpiece. Go figure.

Earlier in the night, I'd been sitting on the couch reading a magazine while she played with something. She came over to me, got my attention, and simply said, "I'm smart, Heidi." Yeah, humble too.

Labels: